Mini Meditation: How Taking Just a Few Minutes to Meditate Can Improve Your Day
Meditation is a powerful tool that can help reduce stress, improve mental clarity, and increase overall well-being (1). However, finding the time to meditate can be a challenge, especially if you have a busy schedule. That’s where mini meditation comes in. In this blog post, we’ll explore how taking just a few minutes to meditate can improve your day.
What is Mini Meditation?
Mini meditation, also known as micro meditation, is a form of meditation that can be done in just a few minutes. This type of meditation is designed for people who are short on time but still want to experience the benefits of meditation.
Mini meditation involves focusing your attention on your breath or a specific mantra for a short period of time. This can help you calm your mind and reduce stress, even if you only have a few minutes to spare.
Benefits of Mini Meditation
There are several benefits to mini meditation:
1. Reduced Stress
Taking a few minutes to meditate can help reduce stress and anxiety (2). By focusing your attention on your breath or a specific mantra, you can quiet your mind and reduce the impact of stress on your body.
2. Improved Focus
Mini meditation can also improve your focus and concentration. By taking a few minutes to clear your mind, you can improve your mental clarity and increase your productivity throughout the day.
3. Increased Self-Awareness
Mini meditation can also help increase your self-awareness. By focusing on your breath or a specific mantra, you can become more in tune with your thoughts and emotions, which can help you make more mindful decisions throughout the day.
4. Improved Mood
Mini meditation can also improve your mood. By reducing stress and increasing self-awareness, you can feel more relaxed and at peace, which can improve your overall sense of well-being.
How to do Mini Meditation:
Mini meditation is easy to do and can be done anywhere, at any time. Here’s how to do it:
- Find a quiet place where you can sit or stand comfortably.
- Close your eyes and take a deep breath in through your nose.
- Hold your breath for a few seconds, then slowly exhale through your mouth.
- Focus your attention on your breath or a specific mantra for a few minutes.
- If your mind starts to wander, gently bring your attention back to your breath or mantra.
- When you’re ready, slowly open your eyes and take a few deep breaths before resuming your day.
Mini meditation is a powerful tool that can help reduce stress, improve focus, increase self-awareness, and improve your overall mood. By taking just a few minutes to meditate each day, you can experience these benefits and improve your overall well-being. So, if you’re short on time but still want to meditate, consider giving mini meditation a try.
Check out our post on National Walking Day, walking can also improve focus and mood!
- Basso, J.C. et al. (2019) ‘Brief, daily meditation enhances attention, memory, mood, and emotional regulation in non-experienced meditators’, Behavioural Brain Research, 356, pp. 208–220. doi:10.1016/j.bbr.2018.08.023.
- Bostock, S. et al. (2019) ‘Mindfulness on-the-go: Effects of a mindfulness meditation app on work stress and well-being.’, Journal of Occupational Health Psychology, 24(1), pp. 127–138. doi:10.1037/ocp0000118.