The Rise of Health Wearables: How They Can Help You Reach Your Fitness Goals
Health wearables have become increasingly popular in recent years, and for a good reason. These devices, which can be worn on the wrist, clipped to clothing, or even implanted under the skin, can help track everything from heart rate and steps taken to sleep patterns and stress levels (1). In this blog post, we’ll explore the benefits of health wearables and how they can help you reach your fitness goals.
What Are Health Wearables?
Health wearables are devices that track various aspects of your health and fitness. They can include fitness trackers, smartwatches, and even medical devices such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose monitors (2). These devices use sensors to collect data, which is then analyzed and displayed on an app or dashboard.
Benefits of Health Wearables
Health wearables can be a great motivator to help you reach your fitness goals. Seeing your progress in real-time can be highly motivating, and many devices also offer reminders to move or encouragement to help you stay on track (3).
Health wearables can also help keep you accountable by tracking your progress and providing feedback. This can help you stay on track and make adjustments as needed (4).
Many health wearables allow you to customize your goals and preferences. This means you can tailor your fitness plan to your individual needs and preferences, making it more likely that you’ll stick with it (5).
How to Choose a Health Wearable
When choosing a health wearable, it’s important to consider your specific needs and goals. Here are some factors to consider:
What features are most important to you? Do you want a device that tracks steps, heart rate, and sleep? Or do you need a more advanced device that can monitor blood sugar or oxygen levels?
Make sure the device you choose is compatible with your smartphone or other devices you use. This will ensure you can easily access and analyze your data.
3. Design and Comfort
Consider the design and comfort of the device. Will you be comfortable wearing it all day? Is it water-resistant? These factors can make a big difference in how much you use the device.
Health wearables can be a powerful tool to help you reach your fitness goals. With real-time tracking, customization, and motivation, these devices can help keep you accountable and on track. When choosing a health wearable, consider your specific needs and goals, and look for a device that offers the features, compatibility, and comfort you need. Remember, though, that while health wearables can be a helpful tool, they are not a substitute for professional medical advice or treatment.
- Iqbal, S. M. et al., 2021. Advances in healthcare wearable devices. Npj Flexible Electronics, Volume 9.
- Piwek, L., Ellis, D. A., Andrews, S. & Joinson, A., 2016. The Rise of Consumer Health Wearables: Promises and Barriers. PloS Medicine, 13(2).
- Dehghani, M., 2018. Exploring the motivational factors on continuous usage intention of smartwatches among actual users. Behaviour & Information Technology, 37(2).
- Ryan, J., Edney, S. & Maher , C., 2019. Anxious or empowered? A cross-sectional study exploring how wearable activity trackers make their owners feel. BMC Psychology, 7(42).
- Wulfovich, S. et al., 2019. “I Must Try Harder”: Design Implications for Mobile Apps and Wearables Contributing to Self-Efficacy of Patients With Chronic Conditions. Frontiers in Psychology, Volume 10.